Signs of Adolescent Mental Health or Substance Abuse Problems As Parents Experience:
- Feeling of constant worry
- Feeling that something is wrong
- Second guessing yourself
- Feeling that you do not know your teen
- Thoughts that you are a bad parent due to all disagreements and fights
- Being in conflict with your spouse over parenting your teen
- Keeping secrets about your teen from family or friends
- Rescuing your teen from law problems
- Rescuing your teen from school problems
- Lowering your values and expectations
- Allowing family rules to change to avoid conflicts with your teen
- Giving in on your teen’s demands because they are sad or angry
- Giving in on suspicious friends
- Second, third…fiftieth chances
- Believing that IT’S JUST YOU WHO HAS A PROBLEM because that is what your teen has told you
- Dreading late night phone calls
- Dreading parent/teacher conferences
- Getting 2nd and 3rd and 4th opinions from professionals on what to do with your teen – and none of it helps
In most cases, any of these signs can indicate a potential mental health or drug or alcohol problem. If you are not sure, get your teen an assessment.
Liked what you read?
Please share this with your network of friends and loved ones!